We’ve created a calculator to help you estimate the cost to charge an electric car. Follow the instructions below the tool if you need any further assistance.
1.Electricity price of your supplier (price/kWh): $ or €
2. Battery size of the EV: kWh
3.Charging efficiency in %
The cost to fully charge the EV is: $ or €
Use the tool below if you want to calculate the EV charging cost for a specific distance.
4.EV energy consumption per 100 miles or km: kWh
5.Distance: miles or km
The cost to charge the EV for this distance is: $ or €
As some energy is lost during the charging process, it would be unrealistic to use a charging efficiency of 100%. It depends on the electric vehicle model, but the charging efficiency is generally somewhere between 80% and 90%, sometimes less in some cases. Actually, the lower the battery charging efficiency is, the higher the charging cost is going to be. See the example in the table below:
|Vehicle Battery Size||33kWh||33kWh|
|Electricity price||0.15 cent/kWh||0.15 cent/kWh|
|Charging cost||5.50 $ or €||6.19 $ or €|
If you have some difficulties using our calculator, we’ve created a step-by-step guide to assist you during the calculation.
Guide to use our electric car charging cost calculator
- Electricity price of your supplier (price/kWh) – Select your electricity rate per kWh. Check your electricity bill or contact your supplier to find this information.
- The battery size of the EV – It corresponds to the full battery capacity of the car in kWh.
- Charging efficiency – Enter the charging efficiency of the vehicle in percentage.
Good job! You’ve now calculated the cost to fully charge the electric vehicle.
If you’re interested in estimating the cost to charge an EV for a certain distance, please follow the next steps.
- EV energy consumption per 100 miles or km – Select here the consumption in kWh/100 miles or kWh/100 kilometers of the vehicle.
- Distance – Select the distance you want to calculate the charging cost for.
This is a basic estimation simply taking into account the price you pay per kWh of electricity, the battery size of the energy consumption of the vehicle and the charging efficiency. However, many other factors can influence the charging price of an electric vehicle. For this, we invite you to check our article How much does it cost to charge an electric car? where we also give useful tips on how to reduce the final cost.
We hope you find our calculator practical. If you require any further information, find a bug or want to help us improve our charging cost calculator, feel free to contact us at email@example.com.