We’ve created an easy-to-use tool to help people calculate the charging time of any electric vehicle. If you need any further assistance please follow the step-by-step guide below the tool. Our tool is also available for free on Android and iOS. Click on one of the buttons below to download the app.
How long does it take to charge an electric car?
Use the tool below to calculate the total charging time of your electric vehicle:
Starting charge level
Target charge level
If you want to calculate the charging time for a certain distance, use the tool below:
- Battery size – Select the battery size of the electric vehicle which should be considered in the calculation. Choose the battery size in kWh.
- Starting charge level – This percentage corresponds to the level of the battery at the beginning of the process. If you want to calculate the charging time of a completely empty battery, select 0%.
- Target charge level – It is basically up to which percentage you want the battery to be charged. If you want to calculate the charging time of a completely full battery, select 100%. Please make sure, that the target charge level is higher than the starting charge level.
- Charging power in kW – Keep in mind that the charging power can be limited by the charge outlet (cable, charging station, etc.) or the electric vehicle. Check the maximum charging power of both the vehicle and the charge outlet, and select the smaller value to calculate the charging time. See example in the table below:
|Example 1||Example 2|
|Maximum charging power of the vehicle||22 kW||3.4 kW|
|Maximum charging power of the charge outlet||11 kW||7 kW|
|Charging power in kW||11 kW||3.4 kW|
Congratulations! You’ve now calculated the charging time of the vehicle depending on the starting charge level and the target charge level.
If you want to go further and calculate your daily charging time or the charging time for a certain distance, please follow the next steps.
- Distance unit – In this field, you can select the distance unit, miles or km.
- Distance per day – In this field, you can choose the distance you drive daily with your electric vehicle.
- Energy consumption in kW – Insert here the energy consumption of your electric vehicle.
If you’re looking for additional information about EV home chargers, we invite you to check our guide to buy the right EV home charging station
If you need any further assistance or want to help us improve our tool, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.