BMW first introduced the world to its i3 electric vehicle back in 2013. Since its first release it has enjoyed sustained popularity due to its city-friendly design, pleasing range and other attractive qualities. When you invest in an EV like this, you also want to make sure you have the best EV home charger to support your driving. Below you’ll find our picks for the best 6 electric car home charging stations for the BMW i3.
Top Home Charging Stations for BMW i3
Disclosure: some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, we will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Of course, we have to start our list with BMW’s own model-specific unit. This Wallbox was designed specifically for your BMW i3 (or other BMW EV). The first reason to choose this one is that it’s a nice simple unit that connects and syncs with your car perfectly with no need for additional apps or screens. You can set everything from your BMW i3 and related apps.
Plug it into a NEMA 6-50 plug or hardwire it, you can get charging output up to 7.7kW, which will charge your BMW i3 in about 6 hours from depleted to full (estimated with our charging calculator). Unfortunately, the US variant doesn’t feature the 3-phase charging option that the European one does. It does have the same BMW-inspired design, ease of use, overall reliability, and handiness of managing everything through a single brand.
- The strong power output of up to 7.7kW
- Stunning design and quality materials
- Eco-friendly – exterior materials include some recycled materials
- Easy to use and designed specifically for your BMW i3
Con – No three-phase charging option unlike European counterpart.
ClipperCreek is a legendary EV charging station brand and entirely American-made. This unit can output up to 7.7kW, which is about 5.5 times faster than level 1 charging. It comes with a sturdy NEMDA 4 enclosure for safe installation indoors or outdoors, and its quality is backed up by a 3-year warranty. You don’t need to hardwire this unit, just plug it into a NEMA 14-50 socket.
Some very small drawbacks are first that the power cord to the NEMA 14-50 socket is very short and second that for this price point you might expect additional features or Wi-Fi connectivity but this unit is only very simple.
- Solid and quality construction backed up by ETL safety certification
- Very easy to use and offers to charge up to 7.7kW (5.5 x faster than level 1)
- A long 25’ foot cable means it can reach any EV in a 2-car garage
- Quality supported by a 3-year warranty
Con – Short NEMA 14-50 cable and a very simple system when looking at price point
This unit from Amazon Basics can add up to 33 miles of range per charging hour, which makes it very capable of keeping your i3 charged in short bursts, and fully charged overnight. It’s a very simple, but also very durable design constructed of durable PC material with an IK10 rating. The wall unit is compact but with a very handy 25’ cable for maximum reach. Some users have said that they feel the cable is too stiff and difficult to move from coiled.
- Slim, compact, and simple unit perfect for a home setup where space is limited
- Fast charging of up to 25 miles of range per hour, perfect for the BMW i3
- Durable IK10-rated materials
- Good long cable and easy NEMA 6-50 plug-in setup
Con – Power cable is quite heavy and stiff and can be tricky to uncoil and get to your car
Some BMW i3 owners might not want to install an entirely separate unit. They might just want something they can keep in the trunk or in the garage that doesn’t require any mounting or other installation. This offering from POTATO EV gives charging speeds 3 times faster than level 1, but you can actually switch between level 2 and level 1 depending on how fast a charge you really need. It is made from durable ABS, and the power box has a built-in chip designed to help auto-fix any glitches that might create problems in charging.
- Portable, flexible, and easy to use at home or away from home
- Charging up to 3 times faster than level 1, but can use as both level 1 or 2 depending on need
- Durable ABS materials
- The intelligent chip can auto-fix problems as they occur
Con – Charge rate much slower than a typical level 2 wall box unit
Who says that portable chargers always have to be slow? If you want something powerful but portable, this Splitvolt charger will do the business. With 40-amp charging, this portable charger keeps up with the ratings of most of the leading mounted wall box units. The difference is this one just needs a regular 220V NEMA 14-50 outlet to work. It’s CE- and TUV-certified and has an IP55-rated all-weather enclosure.
The 16.4’ cord is a little disappointing for a unit of this quality, but it still suits most situations.
- Powerful 40-amp charging that rivals wall boxes
- CE-, TUV-certified and IP55-rated
- Plug into a NEMA 14-50 outlet and go
- Portable, affordable, easy to use
Con – Charge cable is short at 16.4 feet
When you need a simple unit that still offers more than just “plug-and-play” from a world-beating brand, Siemens is here to help you. Their unit works in a huge range of temperatures from -22 to 122 degrees Fahrenheit and offers a built-in delayed charging function of 2, 4, 6, or 8 hours. It’s manufactured in California and comes with a 3-year warranty to give assurances of quality and reliability. You just need a NEMA 6-50 outlet for it to work.
The one downside is that the wall mount is made of a cheaper plastic, which isn’t in line with the rest of the product’s high-quality brand-name sheen.
- Simple setup that works with any NEMA 6-50 outlet
- Charging at 30 Amps offers up to 4x faster charging than level 1
- Huge operating temperature range
- Delayed charging function available even with no Wi-Fi
- 3-year warranty
Con – Wall mount bracket is made of a cheaper plastic
BMW i3 – Best EV Home Charging Stations
Make sure that you choose the most suitable charger not only to deliver fast charging for your BMW i3 but also one that suits your budget and other needs. We hope our guide above helps you get the right kind of EV home charging station for your BMW i3.