The Tesla Model 3 is undoubtedly one of the most stunning and game-changing vehicles on the automotive market today. It has helped to change completely how the world thinks about electric cars. Before Tesla came along, many people assumed that electric cars would be about as stylish as a golf cart, and only able to travel a few miles. The innovation behind Tesla’s battery technology, as well as its incredible designs and quality craftsmanship, has shattered that image forever.
No matter how fantastic the electric car, like the Tesla Model 3, you still have to charge it. The most convenient way is to get yourself a home charging station. It’s a real buyer’s market out there, too, with dozens of choices that keep quality high and prices competitive. The question is, however, how are you to choose the best EV home chargers for Tesla Model 3? That is something we will help you answer with your helpful list below.
Top Home Charging Stations for Tesla Model 3
Disclaimer: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, we will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Expand your Tesla’s charging capabilities with the DIVOME J1772 Adapter. Designed to maximize compatibility and optimize charging speed, this adapter seamlessly bridges the gap between the world of Tesla chargers and J1772 vehicles, ensuring a faster and safer charge every time.
- Versatile Use: Compatible with all J1772 EVs and PHEVs and supports up to 60A charging.
- Universal Compatibility: Access to Tesla High Powered Wall Connectors, Destination Chargers, & Mobile Connectors, adding 15,000 more charging points for J1772 vehicles. (*Note: Doesn’t support Tesla Super Charger.)
- Quick Charging: Offers 60 amps of current and 250V, charging up to 7.5 times faster than standard level 1 chargers.
- Compact Design: Weighs just 486g and measures 8.66 x 3.54 x 2.36 inches, perfect for on-the-go charging.
- Safety First: IP65 waterproof, CE certified with an anti-drop lock for added security during charges.
- Some users complained that it doesn’t work with their EV model, such as the Chrysler Pacifica.
For Tesla enthusiasts wanting enhanced versatility in their charging routine, DIVOME offers an efficient and trusted solution.
For EV owners who prioritize durability and compatibility, the EVCONN J1772 Adapter is a top-tier choice. Engineered with the latest material innovations, this adapter offers both charging flexibility and an exceptional resistance to environmental challenges, ensuring a reliable, fast charge every time.
- Advanced Construction: Made from state-of-the-art PA66 and glass fiber materials, ensuring unparalleled durability and resistance to temperature extremes.
- Wide Compatibility: Seamlessly works with Tesla High Powered Wall Connectors, Destination Chargers, and Mobile Connectors. (*Note: Not compatible with Tesla Superchargers.)
- Secure Charging: Features an anti-theft lock for a safer, more confident charging session.
- Fast Power Up: Supports up to 60Amp and 250V AC for a quick and efficient charge.
- Safety First: Thoroughly tested and safety-certified, offering peace of mind with every charge.
- Over time, disconnecting the Tesla side of the adapter can become difficult.
With EVCONN’s Tesla to J1772 adapter, you’re not just choosing a charging solution, but a trusted partner for your EV’s power needs.
The journey to the future of electric vehicles is marked with the need for reliable and compatible charging solutions. The E-KITE J1772 EVs Adapter embodies this ideal, offering unmatched compatibility, speed, and safety, making each charging experience smooth, fast, and hassle-free.
- Universal Compatibility: Designed for all J1772 EVs and PHEVs, and works seamlessly with all Tesla Connectors, excluding Tesla supercharger. Also pairs with Tesla mobile connector, wall connector, and destination charger.
- Efficient Charging: Supports a robust 60A and 250V AC, ensuring a faster, safer charge every time.
- Superior Safety: Tested rigorously and featuring a safety anti-theft lock, the adapter offers 20,000+ plug and unplug cycles for unmatched reliability.
- Weather-Proof & Compact: Boasts an IP65 waterproof rating, making it suitable for a wide temperature range (-22°F to 122°F). Its portability ensures hassle-free charging on the go.
- Trustworthy Service: Backed by E-KITE’s 10 years of expertise in the EV charging industry and an 18-month warranty, ensuring you’re always supported.
- According to some users, the instructions are not self-explanatory.
- Disconnecting the Tesla side of the adapter can become difficult over time.
E-KITE’s J1772 Adapter isn’t just a tool—it’s a commitment to a smoother, more efficient EV journey.
Optimize your EV charging potential with the Lectron J1772 Adapter. Crafted to amplify compatibility and uphold safety standards, this adapter integrates J1772 vehicles with the vast network of Tesla chargers, facilitating a quicker and more dependable charging session.
- Enhanced Charging Options: Connect to Tesla or North American Charging Standard (NACS) chargers, supporting up to 48A charging.
- Universal Compatibility: Seamless integration with Tesla High Powered Wall Connectors, Destination Chargers, & Mobile Connectors.
- Travel-Ready Design: Compact, durable structure ideal for on-the-move charging. Keep it in your car for convenient charging anytime.
- Safety Assurance: Undergone UL testing, guaranteeing a safe and reliable charging experience.
- Worry-Free Warranty: Lectron backs its product with a 1-year warranty, alongside dedicated customer support for complete peace of mind.
For EV enthusiasts, the Lectron adapter emerges as a trusted companion to enhance charging versatility and safety.
- It is highly priced compared to the other adapters on our list.
- With 48 A, it offers the lowest maximum current of all the adapters listed here.
The ShockFlo J1772 Adapter is a game-changer for Tesla users, bridging the gap between the Tesla-specific connectors and the broader J1772 standard. Equipped to handle high power loads and crafted with safety paramount, this adapter ensures your EV gets the juice it needs while keeping everything protected.
- High Capacity: Supports up to 80A 250V, adjusting based on your station or car’s capabilities.
- Built-in Safety: Overcurrent and overvoltage protections ensure secure charging.
- Broad Compatibility: Fits all J1772 EVs and PHEVs, and works with most Tesla connectors, barring the supercharger.
- Robust Design: IP55 waterproof rating for usage in harsh conditions, covering ultra-low to high temperatures.
- Travel-friendly: Lightweight, compact design perfect for road trips, camping, and more.
- Trusted Quality: Undergone stringent testing, backed by a 1-year warranty and 24-hour premium customer service.
- A great adapter, but it still has a lower rating than the others on our list.
For Tesla owners wanting more flexibility in their charging options, ShockFlo promises both safety and convenience.
How to Use a Tesla to J1772 Adapter?
Using a Tesla to J1772 adapter is straightforward. Follow these steps:
- Inspect the Adapter: Before every use, check the adapter for any visible damage or wear. This ensures safe operation.
- Plug into the Tesla Charger: Insert the adapter into the Tesla charging station’s plug.
- Connect to Your EV: Once securely attached, take the other end of the adapter and connect it to your EV’s charging port.
- Monitor the Charging: Watch for the charging indicator on your EV or on the adapter itself (if it comes with one). This will confirm that the vehicle is charging.
- Completion and Removal: Once charging is complete, first unplug the adapter from your EV, then detach it from the Tesla charger. Store safely.
How Do I Choose the Right Tesla to J1772 Adapter?
Choosing the right adapter involves several considerations:
- Compatibility: Ensure the adapter is compatible with your EV model and the Tesla charging stations you intend to use.
- Charging Speed: Some adapters offer faster charging capabilities. Look for ones that can handle the highest kW input your car supports.
- Build Quality: A sturdy, well-constructed adapter will stand the test of time, ensuring you won’t need to replace it frequently.
- Safety Features: Prioritize adapters with safety mechanisms, such as overcharge protection, surge protection, and thermal protections.
- Price vs. Value: While it’s tempting to go for the cheapest option, consider the value offered in terms of durability, safety, and charging speed.
- User Reviews: Always check reviews from other EV owners. Their experiences can give you insights into an adapter’s real-world performance.
- Portability and Design: If you’re often on the move, a compact, lightweight adapter might be ideal.
Is a Tesla to J1772 adapter worth it?
A: Absolutely. Owning a Tesla to J1772 adapter significantly expands your charging options. Many EVs use the J1772 standard, which is different from Tesla’s proprietary connectors. By having this adapter, Tesla charging station owners can conveniently charge their non-Tesla cars at their charging stations.
Should I buy a J1772 adapter?
Investing in a J1772 adapter is a good idea. This becomes particularly important for those who frequently travel or reside in areas with a higher density of Tesla charging stations than J1772 ones. Moreover, having an adapter adds a layer of convenience and flexibility to your EV charging routine, ensuring you’re prepared for various scenarios.
How fast can a EV charge with a J1772 adapter at a Tesla charging station?
The charging speed largely depends on the capability of the Tesla charging station and the specifications of the adapter you’re using. A Tesla Gen 3 wallbox can charge at a rate of up to 11.5 kW. For an EV like the Ford Mustang Mach-E, this translates to a charged range of 100 miles in approximately 3 hours and 30 minutes.
While there are many adapters available in 2023, these five have consistently proven to be reliable, efficient, and user-friendly. By weighing the pros and cons, EV owners can find the adapter that fits their specific needs, ensuring smooth and effective charging at any Tesla charging station. Always prioritize compatibility and safety when choosing an adapter,
Our top pick has to be Tesla’s own EV home charging station. It’s a stunning piece of kit and will fit seamlessly into your garage or other charging space. We’re sure you’ll love the sleek design and efficient hardware that is specifically designed to keep your Tesla battery in good order. You can also check Tesla’s website and get the Wall Connector at a cheaper price.
- It’s specifically designed to work optimally with a Tesla car, so it will work in a close symbiotic relationship with your Tesla Model 3 battery.
- Also compatible with Models S and X, so if you have different Teslas you can get the same charger
- Can install indoors or outdoors
- Efficient – gives 44 miles of range per hour of charging.
Con – It’s not the cheapest choice out there, so if you’re looking to save some money, then you might want to consider an alternative.
This aptly named high-power piece of kit comes Wi-Fi ready, loaded with a 25-ft cable and is ready to use both indoors and out. You can control your charging remotely and get immediate notification when it’s completed. Let’s look at some of its best features:
- Fast charging speed, up to 7 times faster than typical chargers
- App control and voice control via Amazon Echo/Alexa make control convenient and easy
- You can schedule your charging times when rates/charges are lower using the smart grid savings feature. This helps lower your Tesla running costs
- Plug-in and go — just need a NEMA 14-50R outlet and it’s ready to go
- It can share the charging load with two or more chargers without having to add a new circuit
Con – It is compatible with your Tesla, but you do still need an adapter, so that is an extra need. It’s also pricier than even the Tesla brand.
This level 2 charger comes with a 240V supply and works for all EVs, including your Tesla Model 3. It’s also efficient and reliable, certified by CE and TUV. What else will this charger offer?
- Crystal-clear display often remarked by customers as being especially easy to read and understand
- Comes with a two-year warranty on all quality issues
- Includes a power leveler that maintains balance and equilibrium when doing multiple charges
- Can be installed indoors or outdoors
- Great value
Con – Some customers have claimed that the connector is a little stiff on some models, but will be ok with proper force applied.
The best-value item on our list is this home charging station from Blink. It comes with a built-in delayer to optimize your charging times to be in line with the cheapest utility rates. It’s also fully compatible with Tesla models, as well as many others, making it perfect for the car with different EV brands under one roof.
- Fast level 2 charging gives you six times more charging speed than the factory-issued cable
- Indoor/outdoor installation both possible
- Incredible price under $400, which is very affordable for this type of charger
- Compact and stylish and no need for any separate app or software to use it
Con – Drivers looking for flash may not be impressed by the “no-frills” approach of Blink. If you’re after more bells and whistles, then this charger probably isn’t for you.
This level 2 charging station will give you up to six times the speed of your regular cable. The Primecom model works within the 100V and 240V range, and its smart chip will communicate with your electric car’s computer to ensure the correct, safe amount of charge goes through.
- Universal compatibility makes it good for the home with a Tesla plus any other model.
- Great customer service, and a 12-month warranty from Primecom.
- Attractive design and easy to install
- Sturdy and durable feel to the hardware
Con – Some customers complained that the manual was written in a badly translated English version, which was irritating. Having said that, many also commented on how easy the installation is in spite of that.
We hope that you find out the list of the best EV home charging stations for Tesla Model 3 useful! You can be sure that any of these models would be a great choice, but you should also consider your exact needs and home circumstances before you buy a home charger. Remember to think about what voltage level you want, as well as where you’ll be able to install it and keep it safe. Always consider the options before you make a final decision.