The Volkswagen ID.3 was the first EV from VW to be produced using their new Modular Electric Toolkit (aka MEB) architecture. The car has been enormously successful and has consistently been among the most popular EVs in Europe and other countries and regions worldwide. More drivers mean that more people need great recommendations for the best EV home chargers for the Volkswagen ID.3. Below you’ll find our recommendations.
Top Home Charging Stations for the Volkswagen ID.3
Disclaimer: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, we will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
1. JuiceBox 40 Smart Electric Vehicle (EV) Charging Station with WiFi
The VW ID.3 is only a small EV, but that just means a powerful EV home charging station is all the more effective and efficient. This offering from JuiceBox offers up to 40amps charging and works with a NEMA 14-50 plug. You can also hardwire it or settle for a 32-amp version.
It can be controlled via WiFi with a smartphone app, and you can pair and control it with Alexa. It comes with a 3-year limited warranty, and the smartphone app allows you to arrange all charging times to happen within off-peak times only. It’s among the simplest units to come with WiFi and app support.
One small downside seems to be some reports of glitchy WiFi connections after a period of time, but JuiceBox seems to be resolving this with updates.
- Quality backed up by 3-year warranty
- Powerful charging up to 7 times faster than regular charging
- Save money with off-peak charging arranged using the smartphone app
- Pairs to Alexa devices for added convenience
- Simple and elegant box design, but also very durable
Con – Some complaints of glitchy software
2. Pulsar Plus Level 2 Electric Vehicle Smart Charger
This compact, stylish offering from Wallbox is called the Pulsar and is much-lauded by its many users around the world. It is not just a powerful unit, but also intelligent. It connects to your smart devices easily via its dedicated app and then outputs from 16 to 40amps of power, however much you need. Better yet, if WiFi is failing you at home, you can still connect via Bluetooth to the unit and schedule your charging that way.
Besides being both powerful, attractive, and smart, the unit is also compact, easy to install, and is built for indoor and outdoor spaces. One small drawback has been the performance of the charging cable in very cold weather. It has been likened to a frozen hose in rigidity, but it only seems to happen in the very coldest climates.
- Works with or without WiFi – Bluetooth connection to schedule charging possible
- Sleek and stylish
- Powerful charging of up to 40amps, 7 times faster than level 1, can fully charge ID.3 from zero to full overnight with ease
- Quickly and easily connects to all smart devices via dedicated in-house app
Con – Cable can be cumbersome and stiff in very cold winters
3. BESENERGY 32 AMP EV Charger Level 2
Who said that portable would have to mean less powerful? Certainly not BESENERGY with this offering, which includes charging up to 32amps and 7.2kWh, which could charge the typical ID.3 from zero to full in under 9 hours. That means overnight off-peak charging will never be a problem for this charger.
It’s portable and compact, but still has a handy LCD screen to offer easy checking up on current charge status. It also houses an intelligent chip that monitors and adjusts amperage according to what your ID.3 needs as its optimum rate for charging. It can also be used outdoors.
- Portable, great for users who take their ID.3 on business trips
- Simple to use, just plug and play
- LCD display makes checking charging progress easy with no complex apps or WiFi issues
- Quality assured with a 3-year warranty
Con – Cord length isn’t always ideal, only 18’ from box to connector; hard if you want to keep the box hung on its hook
4. EvoCharge EVSE Level 2 Electric Vehicle Charging Station
EvoCharge also makes a WiFi-enabled charging box, but we know that for some it’s a frill that they can do without. When you want a sleek, simply-designed EV home charging station that delivers power and reliability with none of the fuss of apps and WiFi connections, then this is a great choice. It has a 25-foot cable which is great even for a double-car garage.
This unit is powerful, too, adding up to 27 miles of range per hour, which means it can charge the ID.3 from zero to full in about 11-12 hours even for its long-range models (estimation based on our charging tool). Another positive is its array of safety certifications such as UL and ETL. The only slight drawback is that the connector needs to be very firmly put in place and if not firmly enough then it will not charge.
- Sleek and stylish design; very subtle to place outdoors
- Powerful charging adding up to 27 miles of range per hour
- 25-foot cable makes it perfect for a double-car garage
- UL- and ETL-certified for safety
Cons – Connector can be stiff, and if not placed exactly right won’t charge
5. Lectron 240V 16 Amp Level 2 EV Charger
We conclude our list with another great portable option, and a budget-friendly one, too. Lectron’s charger can output about 3.86kWh, which is more than sufficient for the ID.3 in regular overnight charging to maintain a charge between 20 and 80 percent. It’s UL-certified for safety and works with a simple NEMA 6-20 connection.
It’s very light, easy to use and because it’s a portable option, this is a charger you can take with you when you visit friends or relatives and easily plug in and charge up. It would also make a very good spare charger as a backup for a more powerful wall-mounted unit. It’s just a pity it’s only backed up with a 3-month warranty.
- Easy to use, “plug-and-play” design
- Decent power output
- Budget-friendly price point
- Can use anywhere with a NEMA 6-20 connection
Cons – Only backed up with 3-month warranty where others offer up to 3 years
Volkswagen ID.3 – Best EV Home Charging Stations
When you’re in the market for home electric car chargers, you need to browse and consider your needs to find the best model. Hopefully, among our selection, you’ll find the perfect match for your ID.3. It’s a great car and deserves the best-possible EV charging station. Stay charged and stay safe!